Growing up, you always hear about how much you will change over the years and the “if I only knew what I know now…”, but frankly, it went in one ear and out the other.
In honor of my thirtieth birthday today, I decided to reflect on the pretty incredible life I’ve had so far (including things that went out the other ear).
Here are 30 things I’ve learned to date:
1. I’m still trying to figure it all out. And I have a sneaky suspicion that this will be an ongoing trend.
2. You have two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you speak. However, don’t be a doormat and speak up when you need or want something. People are not mind readers.
3. Your childhood matters, but don’t let it control your adulthood. Shit happens, learn from it/grow from it.
4. Be humble and kind (you know the song). You never know what a person is going through.
5. Giving is better than receiving. By giving your time, money, or any other means, you are making someone else’s life better.
6. Be uncomfortable. Those situations I don’t want to be in, those calls I’m afraid to make, those careers I’m afraid to pursue, will all get me where I need and want to be.
7. Make mistakes. Failing at things are only lessons learned, which make for great stories later.
8. Don’t worry so much. Those moments will pass and eventually be forgotten. No need to worry about the past, the present, and especially the future.
9. To wake up each day and be grateful. It’s important to focus on all the good I do have in my life versus the bad or things I lack.
10. Strive to be a better version of myself every day. As I’ve read books and taken courses, I’ve realized that you really should never stop learning and improving. (Shout out to Duolingo who won’t let me surpass 12% fluency – and knows me all too well)
11. Music is powerful. It can change the mood, bring back memories, and create new experiences.
12. You never know who is watching. It’s easy to get caught up in all of your own cares and thoughts and not realize that people do see the good and bad you do. Enrich others, even if it’s with small gestures, this will create a snowball effect.
13. Pay off debt. I didn’t have a plan in place to get rid of those horrendous student loans for a while, and with them almost gone, the weight is slowly being lifted.
14. Forgive. Something I struggled with well into my mid-twenties. After letting go and allowing forgiveness to take over, my life has been overjoyed with gratitude.
15. Para Amar e Ser Amado = to love and be loved; for so many reasons. 1 Corinthians 13:4.7-8.
16. Even if it means taking baby steps, a little progress is better than no progress.
17. My attitude and how I react, during good or bad times, is a choice. This ultimately effects relationships, opinions, and also has a domino effect on other life moments. Choose wisely.
18. Not everyone will like you, and that’s ok. Life goes on.
19. Live in the moment. Be present and enjoy the now.
20. Your vibe attracts your tribe: “You’re the average of the five people you spend the most time with” – Jim Rohn. Again, choose wisely.
21. Minimize. Simple living is a lot less stressful.
22. Write down goals. Something I didn’t take seriously until a few years ago, but since following through with writing them down, the power it has is amazing. Unconsciously my energy goes towards accomplishing those goals, short and long term.
23. Take care of yourself. Through exercise and eating well, this allows me to have energy and be at my best.
24. Always have emergency savings. This safety net allows me to live more freely without worry. Creating financial goals has turned out to be extremely rewarding.
25. Sometimes big changes in life are necessary. (Please see last six years)
26. Be honest with yourself and others; it is the foundation of peace.
27. Have a dream and follow it. I’m not sure at what age certain dreams slowly dissipated, but I now know that a quest is an essential part of a fulfilling life. (Shout out to my fellow WDSers)
28. Experiences will last a lifetime. Choose adventure over material things; I haven’t regretted it thus far.
29. Treasure your relationships. You never know what will happen tomorrow.
30. Remember to always do what makes you happy and be unapologetically you.
To whoever is reading this, thank you for being here and in my life xx